NEW YORK, March 31, 2016 – The REIT Center of the NYU School of Professional Studies (NYUSPS) Schack Institute of Real Estate will host the 21st Annual REIT Symposium on Wednesday, April 13, at The Pierre in New York City. The full-day conference, titled “Navigating the REIT and Real Estate Cycles,” will bring together an illustrious roster of speakers from the most successful REITs, investment banks, and related businesses to discuss trends in the REIT industry and to forecast where REITs and commercial real estate markets are heading in 2016.
The REIT Symposium will feature a keynote conversation with Sam Zell, chairman of Equity Group Investments (EGI), who will offer his candid view of the REIT industry; a lunch conversation with Jonathan D. Gray, global head of real estate, Blackstone; and star-studded panels featuring leading CEOs, bankers, analysts, and other professionals in the REIT and real estate industries.
“This year’s REIT Symposium will directly address the question of our current position in the market cycle and the outlook for the next several years. There is no more experienced and knowledgeable a lineup of industry leaders to inform this discussion,” commented Sam Chandan, NYUSPS Schack Institute of Real Estate Larry and Klara Silverstein chair, associate dean, and clinical professor.
Topics to be discussed include: whether the industry should expect a new wave of REIT buyouts, given the spread between REIT values and their net asset value and whether consolidation and M&A activity is likely to continue until, as some have predicted, only 30 mega-REITs are left standing. In addition, panels will explore whether the trend to use REITs to unlock corporate real estate has legs; whether US REITs will finally take the plunge and truly expand globally; what the impact of activists is on the industry; and what’s on the horizon in terms of governance changes and share buybacks. The impact of changes in the tax laws on REIT spins and conversions, and which new frontiers and property-types REITs will attack and how fast also will be covered.
To register for the NYUSPS Schack Institute of Real Estate REIT Symposium, please visit sps.nyu.edu/reit.
FULL PANEL LIST
WELCOME & OPENING REMARKS
- Sam Chandan, PhD, Larry and Klara Silverstein Chair in Real Estate and Associate Dean, NYUSPS Schack Institute in Real Estate
- Adam O. Emmerich, Partner, Wachtell, Lipton, Rosen & Katz; Cochair, NYUSPS Schack Institute of Real Estate REIT Symposium [Moderator]
CONSOLIDATION: WHAT TO EXPECT IN 2016?
- Guy A. Metcalfe, Managing Director and Global Chairman of Real Estate, Morgan Stanley [Moderator]
- Debra A. Cafaro, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, Ventas
- Ronald L. Havner, Jr., Chairman, President, and Chief Executive Officer, Public Storage
- Mike F. Kirby, Chairman and Director of Research, Green Street Advisors
- Hamid R. Moghadam, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, Prologis
- James D. Taiclet, Chairman, President, and Chief Executive Officer, American Tower Corporation
CONVERSATION WITH SAM ZELL
- Sam Zell, Chairman, Equity Group Investments
- Robin Panovka, Partner, Wachtell, Lipton, Rosen & Katz; Cochair, NYUSPS Schack Institute of Real Estate REIT Symposium [Moderator]
STATE OF THE MARKETS
- Sam Chandan, PhD, Larry and Klara Silverstein Chair in Real Estate and Associate Dean, NYUSPS Schack Institute of Real Estate [Moderator]
- Ragavan Bala, Managing Director and Head of Real Estate M&A, Investment Banking Division, Barclays
- James B. Connor, Chief Executive Officer, Duke Realty
- Thomas A. Grier, Managing Director, Head of Real Estate Investment Banking, J.P. Morgan Securities
- Joel S. Marcus, Chairman, Chief Executive Officer, and Founder, Alexandria Real Estate Equities
- Nelson Mills, President, Columbia Property Trust
- Martin E. “Hap” Stein, Jr., Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, Regency Centers
STRATEGY: HOW WILL REITS NAVIGATE THE MARKET?
- Michael J. Graziano, Managing Director, Goldman, Sachs & Co.[Moderator]
- Michael DeMarco, President and Chief Operating Officer, Mack-Cali Realty Corporation
- Matthew J. Lustig, Head of Real Estate, Managing Partner of North America Investment Banking, Lazard
- Sandeep Mathrani, Chief Executive Officer, General Growth Properties
- Owen D. Thomas, Chief Executive Officer, Boston Properties
LOOKING AHEAD: TRENDS AND COUNTER-TRENDS
- Paul J. Ingrassia, Managing Director, Head of North America Real Estate & Lodging, Citi [Moderator]
- Gordon F. DuGan, Chief Executive Officer, Gramercy Property Trust
- Kevin T. Gannon, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, Robert A. Stanger & Co.
- Jeffrey D. Horowitz, Global Head of Real Estate, Gaming and Lodging Investment Banking, Bank of America Merrill Lynch
- Glenn J. Rufrano, Chief Executive Officer, VEREIT
WELCOME & LUNCH CONVERSATION
- James D. Kuhn, President, Newmark Grubb Knight Frank; Chairman, NYUSPS Schack Institute of Real Estate Advisory Board [Welcome]
- Jonathan D. Gray, Global Head of Real Estate, Blackstone
- Barry Vinocur, Editor, REIT Wrap [Moderator]
- Theodore R. Bigman, Managing Director and Head of Global Listed Real Assets, Morgan Stanley Investment Management
- Steven J. Buller, Portfolio Manager, Fidelity Investments
- Jon Cheigh, Executive Vice President, Global Portfolio Manager, Cohen & Steers
- Mary Hogan-Preusse, Managing Director and Co-head, Americas Listed Real Estate, APG Asset Management US
- Sherry L. Rexroad, Co-Global Chief Investment Officer, Global Real Estate Securities, BlackRock
REIT SPINOFFS AND CONVERSIONS AND THE NEW BREED OF REITS
- Michael J. Bilerman, Managing Director, Head of Real Estate and Lodging Team, Citi [Moderator]
- Michael P. Glimcher, Chief Executive Officer, WP Glimcher
- Raymond J. Lewis, Chief Executive Officer, Care Capital Properties
- W. Benjamin Moreland, President and Chief Executive Officer, Crown Castle
- Jeffrey S. Olson, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, Urban Edge Properties
- Benjamin Schall, President and Chief Executive Officer, Seritage Growth Properties
- Albert Tylis, Chief Executive Officer and President, NorthStar Asset Management Group
About the NYU School of Professional Studies Schack Institute of Real Estate
The NYU School of Professional Studies Schack Institute of Real Estate (sps.nyu.edu/schack) was founded in 1967 at the initiative of prominent real estate leaders, who encouraged NYU to establish an academic center that provided an educational foundation for professionals within their industry. Today, the Schack Institute of Real Estate offers graduate degrees—notably the MS in Real Estate, the MS in Construction Management, and the MS in Real Estate Development—as well as graduate certificates in real estate and construction management, all of which enroll nearly 700 full- and part-time students from more than 30 countries, with over 3,500 graduates around the globe. In September 2013, the Schack Institute launched a new undergraduate degree—the BS in Real Estate.
Each year, approximately 4,200 working professionals enroll in the Schack Institute’s Career Advancement courses, Diploma programs, and intensives in such areas as real estate finance, sales and brokerage, sustainable design, facilities management, and architecture and civil engineering. The Institute also is home to the REIT Center and the Center for the Sustainable Built Environment, and hosts key industry events, including annual conferences on real estate capital markets and REITs. The Schack Institute of Real Estate is one of several academic divisions within the School of Professional Studies, which offers a broad range of professionally focused undergraduate, graduate, and Professional Pathways offerings.