NEW YORK, February 13, 2017—The NYU School of Professional Studies (NYUSPS) Schack Institute of Real Estate Center for the Sustainable Built Environment (SBE) will host the 6th Annual Conference on Sustainable Real Estate, titled "Sustainability at a Crossroads?" on Thursday, February 23, 2017.
The political context of sustainability has shifted radically in the aftermath of the presidential election. Just as the world moves towards implementation of the Paris Agreement, policy in the United States may be pivoting in a different direction. This conference will convene industry leaders to debate the challenges facing sustainability in this new era and to assess the resilience of the industry's ability to address issues of environmental, social, and corporate governance (ESG).
Four panels (see full agenda below) will feature experts from government, education, real estate, urban planning, and public policy, who will share their diverse perspectives on the current state of sustainability as well as its uncertain future. The morning keynote presenter will be Danielle Spiegel-Feld, executive director of the Frank J. Guarini Center on Environmental, Energy, and Land Use Law, NYU School of Law. Kathleen B. Hogan, deputy assistant secretary for energy efficiency, Office of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy, US Department of Energy, will deliver remarks on industry momentum and accomplishments just prior to lunch. The luncheon will be anchored by keynote speaker Daniel Zarrilli, senior director of climate policy and programs and chief resilience officer, NYC Office of the Mayor.
The SBE Conference will be held on Thursday, February 23, from 8:45 a.m. to 4:45 p.m. at the NYU Kimmel Center for University Life, 60 Washington Square South, New York, NY.
Welcome and Introduction
- Sam Chandan, PhD FRICS, Larry & Klara Silverstein Chair in Real Estate Development and Investment; Associate Dean, NYU School of Professional Studies Schack Institute of Real Estate
- Stuart Brodsky, Clinical Assistant Professor and Director, Center for the Sustainable Built Environment, NYUSPS Schack Institute of Real Estate
Morning Keynote – Environmental Progress in a Changing Political Climate
- Danielle Spiegel-Feld, Executive Director, Frank J. Guarini Center on Environmental, Energy, and Land Use Law, NYU School of Law
Panel 1 – Industry Perspectives on Sustainability's Resilience
- Stuart Brodsky, Clinical Assistant Professor and Director, Center for the Sustainable Built Environment, NYUSPS Schack Institute of Real Estate [Moderator]
- John R. Bryant, Vice President, Advocacy, Codes and Standard, BOMA International
- Henry L. Green, Hon. AIA, President, National Institute of Building Sciences
- John Parkinson, Executive Director, Association for the Improvement of American Infrastructure
- Patrick L. Phillips, Global Chief Executive Officer, Urban Land Institute
Panel 2 – Innovators in Environmental and Social Governance: Practice and Project Leaders
- Hank Ashforth, Executive Vice President, The Ashforth Company
- David Komet, Chief Executive Officer, Alternivest
- Philip Payne, Principal and Chief Executive Officer, Ginkgo Residential
- Arianna Sacks Rosenberg, Senior Project Manager, The Hudson Companies
- Brenna S. Walraven, RPA, CPM, BOMA Fellow, President and Chief Executive Officer, Corporate Sustainability Strategies [Moderator]
Government Address: Industry Momentum and Accomplishments
- Kathleen B. Hogan, PhD, Deputy Assistant Secretary for Energy Efficiency, Office of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy, US Department of Energy
- Daniel Zarrilli, Senior Director, Climate Policy and Programs, and Chief Resilience Officer, NYC Office of the Mayor
Panel 3 – Navigating the Industry's Programs
- David DeVos, Chief Sustainability Officer, PGIM Real Estate
- Daniel Egan, Vice President, Sustainability & Utilities, Vornado Realty Trust
- Joyce Mihalik, Vice President, Integrated Design Services, Forest City Realty Trust
- Brad A. Molotsky, LEED AP O+M, Partner, Duane Morris [Moderator]
- Dana Robbins Schneider, LEED Fellow, Managing Director, Energy and Sustainability Services, Jones Lang LaSalle
Project Briefing and Case Study: New York University at 370 Jay Street
- Marlon Aranda, AIA, Project Director, Office of Strategic Assessment, Planning, and Design, New York University
Panel 4 – Institutional Capital's ESG Drivers
- Sam Chandan, PhD FRICS, Larry & Klara Silverstein Chair in Real Estate Development and Investment; Associate Dean, NYUSPS Schack Institute of Real Estate [Moderator]
- Nils Kok, PhD, Chief Economist, GeoPhy
- Cherie Santos-Wuest, Managing Partner, Celadon Venture Advisors
- Jerome Speltz, PE, Managing Director of Engineering, Barings Real Estate Advisers
If you are a member of the press who wishes to cover the Conference, please contact Alka Gupta at firstname.lastname@example.org. For inquiries on general registration, contact Jessica Estrada-Watson, at email@example.com or 212-992-3618. For inquiries about sponsorship opportunities, contact Sonal Pande at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 212-998-6961.