Undergraduate Academic Policies and Procedures
The NYU School of Professional Studies Website
Professional Certificates
Upcoming Events
Search Courses
Credit Course
Non-Credit Course

Undergraduate Academic Policies and Procedures

Except where specified otherwise, these policies apply to all undergraduate students enrolled in the NYU School of Professional Studies, whether within the Preston Robert Tisch Center for Hospitality, Tourism, and Sports Management or the Paul McGhee Division.

Your studies at the NYU School of Professional Studies are governed by a variety of academic policies and procedures. Students are expected to familiarize themselves with and follow the academic policies for undergraduate students, as listed below. It is strongly recommended that you review these policies periodically to remain current.

In addition, there are School-wide academic policies and procedures that pertain to all NYU School of Professional Studies degree students.

It is recommended that students not exceed taking 18 credits each semester. If a student wishes to take more than 18 credits in a given semester, formal authorization is required:

  • Tisch Center students must obtain permission from the Tisch Center Academic Chair.
  • McGhee students must obtain permission from their respective McGhee Academic Director, for Liberal Studies or for Professional Studies, in keeping with the students' respective area of concentration.

Permission to take more than 18 credits per term is limited to students who have completed at least 32 credits of work while matriculated at the NYU School of Professional Studies and who have maintained a CGPA of 3.0 or better.  All students taking over 18 credits in a given semester are subject to extra tuition and fees.

To receive a final grade for a course, a student must be in regular attendance and satisfactorily complete all examinations and other assignments prescribed by the instructor. A student will not receive a grade for any course for which she or he is not officially registered.

The following grades are awarded and are computed in the grade point average: A, A-, B+, B, B-, C+, C, C-, D+, D, and F. In general, A indicates excellent work; B indicates good work; C indicates satisfactory work; D indicates passable work and is the lowest passing grade; and F indicates failure. The weights assigned to the grades in computing the grade point average are as follows:

  • A = 4.0
  • A- = 3.7
  • B+ = 3.3
  • B = 3.0
  • B- = 2.7
  • C+ = 2.3
  • C = 2.0
  • C- = 1.7
  • D+ = 1.3
  • D = 1.0
  • F =  0.0

The grade point average (GPA) can be obtained by determining the total of all grade points earned and dividing that figure by the total number of credits completed. For example, if a student has completed an 18-credit schedule and receives grades of A, A-, B, and C+, respectively, in four 4-credit courses and a B+ in a 2-credit course, the student’s semester GPA would be computed as follows:






4 credits










4 credits










4 credits










4 credits










2 credits





Total grade points





GPA=58.6 divided by 18=3.255. The total grade points (58.6) are divided by the number of credits earned (18) to obtain the GPA (3.255).

Grades for work done at other institutions, including those earned while matriculated in other NYU schools, are not included in a student’s grade point average.

Note: There are no A+, D-, or F+ grades. See Pass/Fail Option, below, for information on pass/fail policies.

Undergraduate students who complete their entire undergraduate career at the NYU School of Professional Studies have the option of taking up to sixteen credits (16) on pass/fail basis towards their 128 credit unit degree requirements. Students who transfer into their NYU School of Professional Studies undergraduate program from another institution may apply pass/fall credits earned at NYU toward their degree, but the total number of pass/fail credits may not exceed 12.5% of the total credits earned both at NYU and from previous study.

Within a given semester, a student must elect to take a semester-long course on a pass/fail basis before the sixth (6th) week of the semester. During the summer session the decision to elect a pass/fail option for a course must be designated within two weeks of the beginning of the session. For courses of shorter duration for which pass/fail is an option, the program will identify the deadline by which the option must be selected.  Once a student officially registers to take a class pass/fail, the decision is binding and no letter grade will be recorded.

No more than one course may be taken per semester on a pass/fail basis.

  • For Tisch Center students the pass/fail option is not acceptable in major courses or in freshman liberal arts courses.  The pass/fail option can be applied only to E, V, or C courses.
  • For McGhee students, the pass/fail option is not acceptable in major, concentration, or core courses; it can only be applied to elective courses.
  • For Schack students, the pass/fail option can be applied only to non-major elective courses.

Students must meet with their advisor to complete the pass/fail form.

Students who are studying abroad should contact their advisors via e-mail to take the pass/fail option.

Incompletes may be earned when unavoidable circumstances keep a student from finishing a course in a given term and the nature of the course permits the faculty member to allow late completion. The grades of “IP” (Incomplete Pass) and “IF” (Incomplete Fail) are temporary grades, which indicate that the student has completed at least 50% of the coursework. Incompletes are given at the discretion of the instructor in consultation with the department. These grades are thus subject to approval, and are never automatic. To remove an Incomplete, students must submit all outstanding work within an approved time period, which shall not exceed 12 months after the close of the course.

Students cannot graduate or transfer to another college in the University if they have an incomplete for any course.

The following grades are without numerical value and are not included in the grade point average, except as noted.

  • I(P)—Indicates that the student was earning a passing grade at the time of approval of the Incomplete. This grade will lapse to an “N” (no grade/no credit) if not resolved by the agreed upon period, not to exceed 12 months.
  • I(F)—Indicates that the student was earning a failing grade at the time of approval of the Incomplete.  This grade will lapse to an F if not resolved by the agreed upon period not to exceed 12 months; as an F, it will be counted in the student’s overall cumulative grade point average.
    For Tisch Center students, Incompletes may be awarded only through prior written agreement (e.g., an Incomplete Contract) between the student and the professor, reached prior to the last three weeks of the semester.
  • W—This is a registrar’s grade assigned when a student officially withdraws from a course. It is not computed in the student’s GPA but it may significantly impact the student’s progress toward degree completion as well as the student’s financial aid eligibility.  Students may drop a course during the add/drop period at the beginning of the semester; after this period, students may withdraw from a course following the Registrar’s calendar. Students wishing to withdraw after the ninth (9th) week of the semester will need the approval of the Divisional Dean.

Students who request faculty to review the calculation of a final grade must do so within one month after the course ends and a grade has been issued. The review must normally be completed within one month but may be extended in the case of a formal grade appeal to the divisional dean.

Guidelines for Grade Appeals
When students receive grades, which they believe are unfair based on their class performance, papers, projects, presentations, and examination grades, they must file an official "Grade Appeals" with their Department within one month following the last day of the final exam period of the semester at issue.

Grade Changes after Graduation
After the awarding of the degree, no grade changes of any kind are permitted unless due to a departmental clerical error in recording.

The programs offered at the NYU School of Professional Studies are designed for students who attend classes offered during the day on a full-time basis, as well as for students who wish to study during the evening on a part-time basis. All undergraduate students must have at least a cumulative GPA of 2.0 and meet all degree requirements to graduate. A full-time schedule normally consists of 16 credits per term (Tisch), or 32 credits per year, which enables a student to complete the entire program of 128 credits in four years. Minimal full-time status entails completing at least 12 credits per term or 24 credits per year. Students who are studying full time and fail to complete a minimum of 24 credits per year jeopardize their full-time status and eligibility to receive financial aid (see satisfactory progress under financial aid section).

Students studying part-time are expected to take no fewer than four credits during the fall and spring semesters. McGhee students may take a full-time schedule of 12 credits per term and no fewer than 2 credits per term (Fall/Spring) for part-time. However, to be eligible for government financial aid for part-time students, students must register for a minimum of six credits during a term.

To make any changes in their program, including dropping or adding courses given in other divisions of the University, students must access ALBERT. Changes in program can be made on ALBERT until the end of the second week of the semester. Please refer to the sections on “adding courses” and “withdrawing from courses” for other guidelines. After the second week of the semester, students must visit their academic department to obtain a Change of Program form.

The form must be completed and signed by both the student and an advisor from the academic department. The form then must be filed in the Student Services Center Registrar’s Office, 25 West Fourth Street.

The deadline for the adding of a course or a section is the end of the second week of the semester. McGhee students are not allowed to add a course after the course has met twice. The deadline applies to any NYU School of Professional Studies course. Students adding courses during this time are expected to make up any work missed during the initial classes. The adding of any course or section after the end of the second week is only allowed with permission from the student’s respective Divisional Dean.

Occasionally, students may withdraw from a course if, because of reasons beyond their control, they cannot continue. Courses dropped during the first three weeks of the term will not appear on the transcript. Students in 6-week courses should consult their program for the add/drop schedule. Those dropped from the beginning of the fourth week through the ninth week of the term will be recorded with a grade of “W.” After the ninth week, no one may withdraw from a course. A grade of “F” will be assigned at the end of the semester if a student ceases to attend a course without withdrawing officially. Students who are ill or have a serious personal problem should contact their advisor immediately. The date of the email may be used when considering refunds.

Please note that a student is not officially withdrawn from a course until the Registrar’s Office has been notified and the withdrawal recorded. The refund schedule is stated on the Bursar’s Website. To be eligible for federal financial aid for part-time students, students must register for a minimum of six credits during a term.

Undergraduate students are not allowed to completely withdraw from all classes through ALBERT. For complete withdrawal, students must have written approval from their program.  Please go to: nyu.edu/registrar/withdrawal. A student who withdraws officially from all courses in a term may register for the following term. If the student is unable to attend the NYU School of Professional Studies during the term following withdrawal, he or she may request a leave of absence from their respective program office.

If a student wants to leave NYU permanently, the student must write to the department stating the effective date of the withdrawal from the university.

For an audited course to appear on a student transcript, the student must register and pay for the course within the registration period. Students may audit designated courses within their program with the consent of the Program Director. Auditors may not preempt space required for registered students. Audited classes will not count toward required degree program credits.

Audited courses will not be considered to satisfy prerequisite requirements for advanced courses. The student cannot revoke or change to auditor status once the class has begun.

Only courses with a grade of "C" or lower may be repeated including an “IF” that has lapsed to an "F". In the case of a course that has been repeated, only the second grade, whether higher or lower, is computed into the average. Credit is only earned once with a passing grade. The initial grade, however, remains on the transcript with parenthesis notating that it is no longer calculated in the GPA. Students should be aware that certain graduate schools would compute both grades in the GPA.

Students may repeat a course only once. Students may be dismissed from the program if a required course is not passed after the second attempt. Students must register and pay for a course to be a repeat.

Good Standing

Undergraduates are in good academic standing during semesters in which their cumulative grade point average (CGPA) is 2.0 or greater and they have completed at least 50% of cumulative hours attempted.  Students must be in good academic standing for every semester for which they are enrolled, or they are subject to academic warning or academic probation.

Students should discuss any questions they have regarding their academic progress and academic standing with their advisor.

Academic Warning

Students will receive written notification from the program that they are being placed on Academic Warning under either of the following conditions:  1) cumulative GPA (CGPA) is below 2.0 in previous semester or 2) the student fails to complete 50% of the cumulative attempted hours.  Students return to good academic standing if they raise their CGPA to a 2.0 or better during the semester they are on Academic Warning, provided they have successfully completed the required hours attempted. Students are permitted one term on Academic Warning before being placed on Academic Probation.

There will be no notation on the academic transcript of "Academic Warning."

Academic Probation

Students whose cumulative grade point average (CGPA) remains below a 2.0 at the conclusion of their semester on Academic Warning or who do not successfully complete at least 50% of the cumulative hours attempted while on Academic Warning will be placed on Academic Probation and receive formal written notification accordingly. Students return to good academic standing and are removed from Academic Probation if they raise their CGPA to at least a 2.0 and successfully complete the required cumulative attempted hours by the end of the semester they are on Academic Probation.

Probationary Status.  Students enter academic probationary status in the term following the term which their performance results in a CGPA below 2.0.   Student records, however, will show the notation "Probation" for the academic term in which they earned the deficient CGPA, as follows:

  • The notation "Probation" will appear on the student's transcript for each academic term, including summer, during which the cumulative GPA is below 2.0 or successful attempted cumulative coursework is below 50%.
  • The notation becomes a permanent part of the student’s academic record.
  • The notation "Probation" can be removed from the student’s record for a specific term only when all of the following occur:
    • The student successfully completes a repeat course or an incomplete, and the replacement grade results in a recalculation of the cumulative GPA to 2.0 or higher for the affected term;
    • The student requests the removal of the notation of “Probation” from the transcript for the affected term and the divisional concurs with the request after reviewing it.

Restrictions while on Academic Probation.  When students are on Academic Probation, certain conditions and restrictions may be established by their academic programs, involving limitations on the courses in which they may enroll or their participation in extracurricular activities, until their performance results in their leaving probationary status.

  • For Tisch Center students, the academic conditions require that the student achieve a GPA of at least 2.0 during the term on probation in a minimum of 12 credits; not receive any grade below a C or any grade of Incomplete; and not withdraw from any course without permission of the Divisional Dean.
  • For McGhee students, the student’s academic advisor, following the guidelines of the Divisional Dean, will set the number of credits and the targeted GPA that a student will be required to achieve, along with other conditions; these will include not withdrawing from any course nor receiving any grade of Incomplete.

Those students receiving federal or state financial aid or other forms of external financial aid are subject to specific regulations tied to terms of their award requirements.

Note:  Undergraduates can only repeat courses with a grade of C or lower.


Students whose cumulative grade point average (CGPA) remains below a 2.0 and/or students who complete less than the required number of cumulative hours attempted at the conclusion of their semester on Academic Probation are subject to Academic Dismissal from the School.

In addition, a student who fails any single course twice will be subject to dismissal from the School. The Tisch Center Academic Chair or the respective McGhee Academic Program Director will make the dismissal decision and will inform the student in writing as soon as possible, but no later than 45 days from the end of the semester.

If students are Academically Dismissed, the Registrar will be notified and the designation "Academic Dismissal" will appear on their transcripts.  Students who receive notice of Academic Dismissal after they have begun classes for the next semester will be allowed to continue attendance pending their appeal.  Students who do not file an appeal within thirty (30) days of issuance of the Academic Dismissal are required to discontinue attendance and will receive a full refund of their current semester tuition.

Process to Appeal Academic Dismissal

Appeal of Academic Dismissal to the Divisional Dean of the Program
A student may appeal the academic dismissal decision to the Divisional Dean if he/she believes the dismissal was the result of an administrative error or if the student can offer compelling reasons for his or her falling out of good academic standing. The student must appeal to the Divisional Dean, in writing, within thirty (30) days from the date of the dismissal decision letter. The written appeal must include a personal statement explaining the student’s poor academic performance, the reasoned argument why the academic dismissal decision should be reversed, and original documentation to corroborate all extenuating circumstances. Anticipated grade changes from outstanding Incompletes do not constitute evidence for an appeal to be granted.

Once the written appeal is received, the Divisional Dean has sole discretion to determine if an appointment or interview is necessary, and in any case, will communicate a written decision within thirty (30) days after receiving the written appeal.  Undergraduate students are permitted to register and take classes in the next semester while the appeal is being considered.

Appeal of Academic Dismissal to the Dean of the School
Only after the dismissal has been appealed to the Divisional Dean of the program and dismissal upheld, may an appeal be submitted to the Dean. The student must request an appeal to the Dean within thirty (30) days from the date of the appeal decision made by the Divisional Dean. The written request must include a copy of the original appeal to the Divisional Dean and a copy of the Divisional Dean’s response upholding the original decision.  Any new information in the student’s defense must be submitted at the same time.  Once the written appeal is received, the Dean or the Dean’s authorized designee will forward a written decision within thirty (30) days after receiving the appeal.

Academic Dismissal Based on Failure to Complete Course of Study within the Established Time to Degree Completion.
Students are required to complete their studies within the time frame specified in "Time to Degree Completion."  Even students in otherwise good academic standing are ineligible to enroll. The process for reinstatement is described in the "Time to Degree Completion" section.

Tisch Center Students
Students in the Tisch Center have eight (8) years from initial enrollment to complete their bachelor's degree.  Failure to do so may result in academic dismissal.

McGhee Students
Students in the Paul McGhee Division have five (5) years from initial enrollment to complete their associate's degree or ten (10) years to complete their bachelor’s degree.  Students who transfer credits into the program or who are readmitted may have their time to complete the degree reduced by the program; in such cases, students will be advised of their authorized degree completion period no later than thirty (30) days from the start of courses during their first semester at the NYU School of Professional Studies.

Process for Students Who Fall Out of Compliance and Who Seek to Continue Their Studies
Students who have not completed their degrees within the specified period but who remained in good academic standing during their time in their programs may seek reinstatement by applying for readmission.  Admission is not automatic.  Applications will be considered on the same basis as new transfer applicants. 

Students must complete their last sixty-four (64) credits at New York University in order to earn a bachelor's degree and their last thirty-two (32) credits at New York University to earn an associate’s degree.

McGhee associate's degree students, with an advisor's approval, may take a maximum of 8 credits of coursework in other undergraduate schools or divisions of the university providing they have earned a minimum of 30 credits in their program and have attained at least a 3.0 cumulative GPA. McGhee bachelor's degree students, with an advisor's approval, may take a total of 16 credits throughout the program (including any taken at the associate's level) of coursework in other undergraduate schools or divisions of the university providing they have completed 60 credits and have attained at least a 3.0 cumulative GPA. Visiting students and other nonmatriculating students may not register for courses in other NYU schools or divisions.

Undergraduate students may receive Advanced Placement or Higher Level International Baccalaureate credits toward the 128-credit degree requirement. In accordance with New York University policy, if test results are a 5 or 4, depending on the subject examination, the student may receive college credit toward the degree, and may not take the corresponding college-level course for credit.

  • For Tisch Center students, the maximum number of AP credits allowed toward the credit requirements of the school shall not exceed 32. To qualify the course must have an NYU course equivalent and be approved by the Tisch Center.  Courses used to fulfill any high school graduation requirement are not eligible.
  • For McGhee students, the maximum number of AP credits allowed shall not exceed 16.

If a student registers for a course after receiving AP credit in that area, the student will lose the AP credit on the transcript. AP credits do not satisfy any major requirements.

For the International Baccalaureate (IB) examination, the NYU School of Professional Studies recognizes higher level examinations passed with grades of 6 or 7.  No credit is granted for standard level examinations.  Students must have official IB Examination scores sent directly to NYU Undergraduate Admissions from the International Baccalaureate Organization.

  • Tisch Center students considering taking AP examinations should seek clarification of the policies in regard to a particular subject at the Office of Undergraduate Admissions, 22 Washington Square North, New York, NY 10011-9191.
  • McGhee students should contact their academic advisor for more information regarding AP or IB examinations.


Credit for courses at other colleges will be considered if the courses were completed at a regionally accredited college and the grade received was a minimum of a C.  Course work taken 10 years or more prior to matriculation at the NYU School of Professional Studies may be transferable only if approved by the Divisional Dean. Courses that are transferred carry no grade point value at New York University. For Tisch Center students, a maximum of 64 advanced standing credits (including transfer credits and AP credits) will be accepted towards the bachelor's degree. For McGhee students, a maximum of 64 advanced standing credits for the bachelor's degree or 32 credits for the associate's degree (including transfer credits, AP credits, CLEP, Prior Learning Credits) will be accepted.

A tentative statement of advanced standing will be provided to each student upon notification of admission to the school, and an evaluation of advanced standing will be provided during the student’s first semester of matriculation following receipt of official transcripts.

Application to study at an NYU campus abroad must be made at NYU’s Office of Study Abroad. 

Students wishing to study abroad are expected to be in good academic standing and have a 3.0 minimum cumulative grade point average (CGPA). Students must have a minimum of 32 credits and have completed at least one semester with a 3.0 GPA or better.

NYU expects its students to maintain continuous registration in an academic program with the exception of summer. However, it is sometimes necessary or desirable for a student to take a leave from enrollment for a period of time. Such leaves may be voluntary or involuntary and will be handled in accordance with the NYU Student Leave Policy. Students must complete the leave of absence form. Failure to do so, may jeopardize their continued registration with the University.

Voluntary Leave

Matriculated students who wish to withdraw from school for one or two semesters, not including summer, for national service, serious medical or psychological illness, or compelling personal reasons are required to submit a written leave of absence form with documentation to the Divisional Dean prior to the semester in which the leave is taken, if possible. In order for the leave to be official, students must complete the Leave of Absence form.

Note: If students are on Academic Probation when the leave is granted, they will return on Academic Probation.

If students study at another institution during voluntary leave, normally no credits can be accepted for transfer.

Only under extraordinary circumstances, students may be allowed to enroll for courses at another regionally accredited college or university during the leave and receive transfer credit. Such a request must be made at the time of applying for leave, and be approved by the Divisional Dean or their representative.  Up to sixteen (16) credits may be approved for transfer, subject to submission and evaluation of an official transcript.

Leave for medical or psychological conditions.  An evaluation with Counseling and Behavior Health Services and/or the Medical Services Division of the Student Health Center may be required at no charge to the student.  The Divisional Dean may confer with the Counseling Center, Health Center, and/or Moses Center depending on the nature of the leave. Documentation is required as noted in the Leave of Absence form.

Duration of leave.  Except where a leave is mandated by compulsory national service, the leave may be granted for a maximum of two (2) consecutive semesters (not including summer) in any undergraduate program.

  • Absence on leave does not extend the stipulated period of time to degree completion, unless a waiver is specifically granted by the program.
  • The notation "Leave of Absence" will be entered on the student’s transcript.
  • If requested, students on approved leave will need to return the NYU student identification card and shall not have access to NYU, the NYU School of Professional Studies, or department facilities.
  • A student will have access to the student’s NYU e-mail account, unless the Divisional Dean decides otherwise.

International Students with an F-1 or J-1 Student Visa Are Additionally Subject to These Federal Government Requirements:

  • International students on a personal leave of absence may not remain in the United States. 
  • International students requiring a leave of absence or permission to take less than a full course load for medical reasons are eligible to stay in the United States, subject to conditions set forth by the Department of Homeland Security in accordance with information provided by a physician.

Involuntary Leave for NYU School of Professional Studies Undergraduate Students

The NYU School of Professional Studies may place a student on an involuntary leave of absence from that student’s academic program when that student: (1) poses a direct threat to health and safety of self or others and (2) is not able or not willing to take a voluntary leave of absence. The School will follow the NYU Leave of Absence Policy with regard to involuntary leave.

All appeal procedures will be followed in accordance with the NYU Student Leave of Absence Policy.