The Testing Process
The NYU School of Professional Studies offers three different language-testing examinations to evaluate your knowledge of a language and assign points equivalent to undergraduate credit at US colleges. The actual amount of credit granted is at the discretion of the institution receiving the results. Students are strongly urged to discuss accreditation with the institution’s advisor prior to taking the exam.
1. Call 212-998-7030
2. Be prepared to provide the following information:
- NYU Student ID number or passport number
- Daytime telephone number
- Language and number of points of the exam you wish to take (4, 12, or 16 points)
Please call at least 48 hours prior to the exam if you must cancel or reschedule. If you fail to arrive at the test site on time, your place will be given to another applicant.
3. On the day of the exam, be sure to bring:
- Your completed registration form.
- A photo ID, such as a driver’s license, student ID, or passport.
- Your credit card or money order payable to New York University. We do not accept cash or personal checks and will not administer the exam without proper payment.
Proficiency exams are given throughout the year by appointment. The Tuesday and Saturday exams are given at the following address:
NYU Midtown Center
11 West 42nd Street, Room 1039
New York, NY 10036
Currently, we are transitioning to a more convenient, expedited online platform that will grant access to language proficiency testing from home or school. As exams become available online, they will no longer be offered onsite. The testing process for online and onsite exams differs, so please be sure to read instructions carefully.
Request an Off-Site Exam
Tests may also be taken at other locations in the United States and overseas. In this case, the student must arrange to have the examination administered by a proctor who is a college faculty member, administrator, or a government or company official (e.g., a member of the human resources staff).
A letter from the proctor on letterhead stating that he/she agrees to administer the exam, along with the application and fees, should be mailed to:
NYUSPS Foreign Languages, Translation, and Interpreting
838 Broadway, 6th Floor
New York, NY 10003
To take the exam off-site, there is an additional postage and handling fee, which is $20 for US locations and $50 for foreign locations. Please make sure that your application includes:
- The proctor's letter.
- Your completed registration form. (Please print clearly.)
- The exam and registration fee. (This fee can be charged to a credit card or paid by money order.)
- A separate money order or certified check for the shipping and handling fee payable to New York University. (This fee cannot be charged to a credit card.)
Please note: Off-site exams must be returned to NYU within eight weeks of receipt of the exam.