Students must declare their candidacy before the start of the fourth certificate course in the certificate program in which they enroll. Candidacy entitles students to many important new benefits (see below).
To apply for certificate candidacy, use the certificate application form. There is a nonrefundable one-time application fee of $100.
Students may take as many individual courses from a certificate program as they wish, but will only receive an official certificate and be eligible for the benefits detailed below if they apply for candidacy. Undeclared students may request a transcript showing course completion and grades, but that transcript does not indicate certificate completion.
- NYU student photo ID, which entitles students to the following privileges while they are enrolled in course(s) applicable to the certificate:
- Access to NYU libraries
- NYU Computer Store educational discount pricing
- Access to the Kimmel Center for University Life
- Invitations to NYU-SCPS events
- Access to certain services through the NYU Home website
- Upon completion of a certificate program, students receive a $100 discount
- voucher toward an NYU-SCPS course (valid for one year).
- Students must declare their certificate candidacy before the start of the fourth applicable certificate course. There is a one-time $100, nonrefundable application fee.
- Students have up to four years from their initial date of registration to complete a certificate program.
- To obtain the certificate, an overall B average or above must be maintained and candidacy must be declared.
- Once all the grades post, students can request their certificate by using the certificate request form.
- Certificate candidacy may be revoked if academic performance is not maintained.
- The NYU-SCPS transcript of a declared candidate will identify certificate completion.
- Substitute classes require approval by the academic department.
- Program administrators may authorize in writing substitutions of specified courses in individual situations (maximum of one substitution for a four-course certificate; two substitutions for a certificate requiring five or more courses).
- Certificate candidacy may be revoked if student does not adhere to conduct policies.
- There is a one-time $5 fee for the NYU student photo ID card. The card is active for the entire semester in which a registered student is enrolled in an approved certificate course and is deactivated when the student is not enrolled in an applicable course.
- Students must satisfy the certificate program requirements listed in the Bulletin published for the term in which they register for the first course to the certificate.
- Regular class attendance is required for a course to be applied toward a certificate.
- NYU-SCPS courses may be applied to only one certificate program. No transfer work or waiver of the total number of courses required is permitted.
- Only one certificate may be issued in a given semester.
- The name printed on the certificate matches the name on the student’s NYU transcript.
- Certificates offered through the International Institute for Learning (IIL) and the Dalton Education Certificate Program in Financial Planning do not require declaration.
- Approval for exception to any of the above requirements must be obtained in advance in writing from the program office.
Note: Departments may establish further requirements for their certificate programs. Check individual certificate listings for details.