Conferences and Events
The NYU School of Professional Studies Center for Publishing offers a wide variety of special event programming that provides many opportunities to learn from industry leaders as they discuss the challenges and opportunities of an evolving publishing industry. At the workshops, panel discussions, and guest lectures, students are able to connect with senior-level executives and to cultivate a network of professional contacts.
Onsite visits to major book, magazine, and digital media companies provide inside knowledge of business practices and opportunities to meet with top executives. Recent industry visits have included:
- A tour of Condé Nast Traveler and a talk with leading editors to understand how media companies are evolving into media brands
- A visit to a leading New York literary agency, Writers House, to hear about the agency's history and discuss today's market with four top agents
- A look inside the AOL-Huffington Post offices to see how a traditional Internet company has transformed itself into a content leader and technological innovator
- A trip to Twitter's New York headquarters to meet with the @TwitterForNews team
- A sit-down with marketing executives at Riverhead Books, a division of Penguin Random House
- A private tour of Bloomberg Digital given by the publisher of Bloomberg Digital & Digital Products
- A gathering with leading executives of Atlantic Media
NYU Media Talk
No upcoming events.
Students also volunteer their time at industry conferences and events, at which they are invited to sit in on lectures and panel discussions in return. Recent volunteer sites have included the MPA–The Association of Magazine Media's annual conference attended by First Lady Michelle Obama; Digital Book World, a major US conference devoted to digital books; and book fairs in London, Frankfurt, and Sharjah in the United Arab Emirates.
Students also may attend special events, conferences, programs, and invitational seminars organized by other academic units within the NYU School of Professional Studies, as well as those hosted by other schools within NYU.